Saturday, November 29, 2014

High- water mark to Hallmark


My mind needed a short escape today so I decided to look through 2014 pictures with the thought of organizing them and start the 2015 album.

Well , there are too many and it looked like hard work.... and my mind and energy is just not up to the task ; a lot easier to procrastinate.... lol.  However, one caught my eye for one reason or another. I hope to discover the reason while I am writing this blog. I don't think if I've  seen or noticed it before but my memory is not that great either. Funny thing is it is not even my shot. I am certain it is either JR's or Ye's as Fred is in the middle ground. The picture itself has great composition and has great potential  for a Hallmark card pick!

What caught my eye are the delicately embossed high water marks, polished and defined by the wispy stalks of baby sea wheat grass. The huge pinkish blush of clouds in the background dwarfed  Fred recording another scene and event in a shore a washed with unending beauty and mystery while a colony of mature wheat grass standing tall with hope and strength, claiming and defending their own purpose and destiny as they harmoniously co-exist with the vast and distant shore sometimes threatening their very own existence.

Where do sea water come from, where do they go to rest; what makes the surf billow and roll? I often wonder why wheat grass abound, what role do they play? How do they defend themselves from the ebb and flow of the tide? What role do I play in this whole ecosystem? Why I am here in the first place?

Do you ever ask the same existential questions? In reading an old book last night before sleep - Windows of Hope , St. Augustine said it best ... "Men go forth to wonder at the height of mountains, the huge waves of sea - and forget to wonder at themselves. "

You see, yesterday I struggled with the thought of starting 5 yrs of oral chemo as I am about to finish radiation. It seem like 5 yrs is way too long a treatment with no guarantee of cancer not coming back. After talking to Fred about this yesterday , I realized am giving voice to my FEAR of recurrence instead of HOPE and FAITH.

It's no wonder why the water mark caught my eye. It perhaps represents the scars and mark in my chest  from biopsies and surgeries. Like the watermarks, they will soon be gone when high tide rolls around. The looming, huge pinkish cloud I may have seen as 5 yrs of  oral chemo treatment but the lump of wheat grass I now see as the bearer of  STRENGTH, FAITH and HOPE.

Deeper still , I think, this composition represents the very essence of our trip and friendship. Thank You for coming and making it hapen!

 Cheers... more margarita?! Whats your pick? Lets pick the top five. I hope you'll take up my challenge. I am dying to know.


adventure to strength, faith , hope, and courage

4 comments:

  1. what a profound theological & existential questions! I see man (Fred) earth, sky, sea and all connected in one piece. Amen to faith, hope, courage & strength

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of earth,sky, and sea all in one piece but I thought it best to humanize the story with an earthling named FM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, FM - an out of place piece....if nothing else, a scale. Great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shot to me means everything in perfect place (including FM). I could not imagine life even in picture perspective without some sort of measure ( scale). Good is not good if we don't have bad; small if not big; justice if not injustice; beauty if not beast; courage if not discourage;.. so on and so forth. Thanks to Judy and/or Ye who took this picture... it made me think deeper and obviously a good conversation piece.

    ReplyDelete